What does mandatory fluoridation mean for you?
The Government has proposed legislation to shift responsibility and decision making from the local councils to the District Health Boards. This, in effect, means mandatory fluoridation for the whole of New Zealand as the DHBs are contractually obligated to carry out Ministry of Health policy. Currently, only around 50% of households are on fluoridated water, with only 23 out of 67 local councils choosing fluoridation. Approximately 2.3m people are exposed to fluoridated water at the moment. Approximately 1.3m further people could be exposed if DHBs are allowed to take control of fluoridation.
April 2016 announcement that Government proposes legislation
Expected that MOH is writing legislation which may be ready around July/August 2016
Health Minister to present Legislation for its first reading when ready
Health Select Committee will consider. At this stage submissions will be sought and people can speak to the Committee
Expect 2nd Reading would be early/mid next year
Expect 3rd Reading to be late 2017 or early 2018
Read Fluoride Free NZ’s press releases:
14th April 2016 NZ Research Proves Fluoridation Not Needed
13th April 2016. Mandatory Nationwide Fluoridation by Stealth
Serious action needed now. It’s all hands to the deck if we want to stop this proposal. Here’s a few ideas of how you can help:
1. email Jonathan.Coleman@parliament.govt.nz and tell him you don’t fluoridation chemicals added to your water. Don’t get hung up on the best thing to say, the most important thing is to say something.
2. Sign up for our posts. You will find “subscribe” button on right hand side http://fluoridefree.org.nz/
3. Attend one of our upcoming meetings
4. Sign and share Fluoride Free NZ’s petition to stop mandatory fluoridation
5. Buy our book and give it to someone you know
6. Make comments on blogs
7. Email email@example.com and offer to help
8. Give a little to our month donation campaign so we can do TV ads, flyers, billboards, flyers, Go Green stalls etc
We need your help to stop this NOW!